How to Paint the Broken Blacktop

psyphi
Administrator
Nathan Reed
So I figured we could start discussing how to best paint the broken blacktop. Assuming the it will come in the dark gray that all the past zuzzy mats come in and that you do not want to prime it I see it as the following (this is all theory):
Get a big pot of acrylic black paint and after watering it down paint everything but the brick section.
Then Dry brush with a dark gray (GW: Codex Grey) and then stipple on lighter gray(GW:Fortress Grey) ?

For the brick sections, this is where I get stymied, any suggestions?

Zuzzy Miniatures
When I painted the sneak peak, I first painted all the cracks black. Then I dry brushed the asphalt with dark grey, then a lighter grey. Then I watered down some greyish-blue and brownish-red craft paints and did very light washes in some random small areas to give it some color. Then on the bricks I dry brushed with the brownish-red, but lightly, leaving much of the black showing through. Then I did another dry brushing with some cadmium red in spots. All of this with acrylic paint of course. And that's it. I will probably paint the full size mat in the same way.

Nathan Reed
I know every part of the country has different colors at their local hobby shop, but from what I recall you use Apple Barrel paints, do you recall the names for that greyish-blue, brownish-red, and cadmium red paint - it will make my shopping a bit easier. Again, very excited about this mat.

Zuzzy Miniatures
For the greys I used Liquitex acrylic artist's paint. I mixed the greys from black and white. The craft paints I used were Keepsake Acrylic Colors. the greyish-blue was Plymouth Blue Deep and the brownish-red was Keepsake Red Deep. And the other red was Liquitex Cadmium Red Medium Hue.

Leif Hardison
What store did you get the Keepsake Acrylic colors from? I'm assuming you bought them local to your greater Syracuse area?

Zuzzy Miniatures
I got the Keepsake Acrylics off of ebay. But I see now that they are no longer manufactured by Grumbacher. So it would probably be difficult to find them. I did, however, find some equivalent colors on the interwebs from other brands. In Delta Ceramcoat the colors would be Nightfall Blue and Burgundy Rose. Or in DecoArt Americana paints the colors would be Uniform Blue and Brandy Wine.

Eric Danger
Can these mats be airbrushed with acrylics?

Nathan Reed
While I have not used airbrush to paint mine, the key is not too thick of layers. Which is why they recommend drybrushing and thin washes and not spray on primers. So if you can control the flow of the Airbrush I do not see why you can't use one to paint it with.

Eric Danger
Good news. I just ordered Wounded city, and cant wait to get it. Only issue is I cant seem to get any response from Zuzzy's site, either about airbrushing or delivery. So, thank you Mr.Reed for the response about airbrushing.

Nathan Reed
I think the Zuzzy forum are pretty much abandonned for this new "social media" site. They have some tutorials on their website, but they are a brush and paint group, so please post back here when you are done and let us know how the Airbrush goes. (NOTE: My fuzzy memory did recall someone saying they did use an airbrush once to great success, if I find the relavant article I will post it here).

Nathan Reed
Here we go, one guy did one with airbrushing, looks really good, perhaps talking to him on his blog will get you some specifics on how he did it.

http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com/2008/05/painting-zuzzy-mat-for-ogre-miniatures.html

Eric Danger
awesome thank you!!!

Re: How to Paint the Broken Blacktop

Indy
Side topic question: does the Verdant Fields mat come dark gray, or does it come greened? The image on the web page suggests greened.

Re: How to Paint the Broken Blacktop

psyphi
Administrator
Yes, the Moorlands mat comes pre-colored in a dark green. The Broken Blacktop is a very dark grey, nearly black. And the Scourged Forest and Sulfur Fields are grey.