The following posts are from our, now defunct, Facebook forum:
Scott Reine ***Link to image/s is bad***
All of these tables are Zuzzy mats. We spent about 6-10 hours on each mat, more on the ones that were done individually, less on the ones that were assembly lined, more on the ones that were done individually. A lot of these mats are new, but there are a few that our club has been using weekly for 3 years.
Some tips for painting the mats:
You can put on a thicker coat of paint than a wash, if it's acrylic and therefore flexible. Don't glob it on, and you definitely want to water it down, but you can paint on a thin basecoat if you want a colour that's not even close to the mat.
After any painting that's not a light drybrush ALWAYS let the mat lay flat on a table overnight. The lavs flow mat is my personal mat, and I made that mistake with it. There's a couple creases along one of the short edges from when I rolled it up too quickly. The creases are slowly getting worked out of the mat, so it's not a permanent problem for me.
Zuzzy Miniatures Those are some great looking tables. Both the mats and the terrain as well.
As for the crease in your mat, you can fix that as follows:
Lay the mat out flat.
Soak the area where the crease is with water.
Flatten out the area and hold in place with something heavy, like a phone book.
Let it dry over night.
Chris Innes-Montgomery Recieved my mat last week and in just 4 days had it painted in a fantastic Martian red style! Love it! it looks Fantastic! now for some of those amazing terrain pices to go with it! ^_^
Bill Crum That looks good Nathan, but I was looking for a more desolate look to complement my dead trees/tree stumps from Zuzzy and Armorcast.
Ulrich Ilg Here's a picture of my ruined earth mat I finished today:
maybe thats sort off what you were looking for?
Bill Crum Not what I had in mind, but a very good job, indeed. I'm tempted to buy another and use your color scheme. What colors did you use, precisely?
Ulrich Ilg Thanks! Glad you like it
A quick paintlog (I tried to keep it as simple as possible and still match the bases of my terrain):
Basecoat with airbrush: molotow one4all 092 hazelnut. Basecoated the branches with Citadel "Khemri brown"
Drybrush Lukas acryl: "raw sienna", then "sand" and "titanium white". With the last two I was a bit careful and touched only some spots to get the patchy feel.
All stones are lascaux "neutral grey middle", avoided paint in the cracks, drybrush white. Small stones got a dark wash before drybrush with Citadel Astronomy grey to give them some focus.
Finished it with a thin wash of CItadel "catachan green" in some places.
All in all it was something about 6h work, without drying time.
Hope this helps.